The beautiful waters of Presque Isle Bay and Lake Erie have drawn people to yachting since the 1800s, and clubs like the Erie Yacht Club were created to encourage the sport and offer like-minded folks the chance to socialize. Just east of the Erie Water Works complex, and at the foot of Myrtle Street, sat the Erie Yacht Club’s first clubhouse, the Anchorage. Shortly after forming, the club leased water lots from the City of Erie and built a two-story clubhouse. It was dedicated July 18, 1895. The club quickly outgrew the Anchorage, and, in 1917, they accepted a gift of waterfront property located about two miles west of the Water Works from the Kahkwa Park Realty Company. The Erie Yacht Club is now more than 120 years old, and it still occupies the property it was given in 1917.