This property was once owned by Judah Colt, land agent for the Pennsylvania Population Company in Erie County. In 1830, he sold a few parcels located along State Street to merchant William Fleming for $600. Fleming began construction of these buildings in 1838. Fleming’s Block suffered a financial disaster during the depression of 1840, however, and Fleming was forced to sell his business block to the trustees of the United States Bank for $17,000. Ten years later, the Bank decided to resell it to Charles B. Wright for $10,500. Due to the change in ownership, townspeople renamed the buildings the “Wright Block.” Today, it is again known as the Fleming Block and its appearance reflects architectural styles from the 1890s, the decade the block was altered.