According to town council records from 1813, Erie’s first purchase of firefighting equipment was fire ladders and hooks for $40. But, it wasn’t until three years later that the all volunteer Erie Fire Department was created. Built by the Constable Brothers Construction Co. at a cost of $14,889.00, Firehouse No. 1 was completed in 1908. The station had a reputation for horseplay and good times, which earned it the nickname "Detention Home." The Erie Fire Department stopped using the firehouse in 1979.