Dickson Tavern, built c. 1815, was a place for locals and travelers to gather and conduct business, store goods in transit, and purchase food, lodging and passenger tickets. The tavern was operated by John Dickson until 1841 when it was sold and converted into a private residence. The City of Erie purchased the building in 1924, renamed it the Perry Memorial House and opened it to the public. As part of the 1963 Perry Sesquicentennial Celebration, the house museum was remodeled and furnished. Kidder Wachter Architecture and Design owns the building today.