Chandlery Corner consists of three separate buildings that were built between 1832 and 1851. Two of these buildings housed the residence, shop and store of Frederick Schneider, Erie’s first soap and candle maker. Under the ownership of Christian Kessler (1870-1919), the business diversified to include groceries, spirits and an assortment of ship provisions. Among the items Kessler stocked were navy lanterns, marine paint, sail hooks and spun cotton. Chandlery Corner serves as a reminder of a time when Erie’s economic prosperity was to a large extent centered on the waterfront.