H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford organized the Erie Insurance Exchange in April 1925. The firm initially carried only auto insurance; the annual premium charge per auto was $34. By 1928, the company opened an office in Pittsburgh and it has continued to grow over the last eight decades. Today, the company holds more than 4 million policies for families and businesses from Wisconsin to North Carolina.